I was amazed to see our local volunteer firefighters in action on Sunday, Dec. 6 at 5:30 a.m. at a blazing fire on Clover Avenue. While the residents of our village slept comfortably, these men and women were putting their lives on the line to save the lives of one of our families.
The fire was raging, the smoke bellowing out like a tea kettle at a full boil. Into the fire went our volunteers, not considering their own safety, not considering their own families. I watched as the first fearless firefighter charged up the ladder and attacked the second floor window, diving into danger, on a mission to save someone inside.
I have a new respect for what our volunteer firefighters do to protect us, our families, our residents and our loved ones. You cannot put a dollar value on their worth.
If they ever request any additional equipment to help protect us, they will have my support.